Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blog Post #2 - Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blog Post #2
Wednesday, July 3, 2013

With just about two weeks to go until the Ignatian Camino, I am feeling eager, excited, and restless to begin!

In the past weeks I have been pondering and praying about Ignatian Spirituality and all that it brings to life. In these ponderings, I have been filled with weight and wonder aroiund the topics and theology of God in all things and who I interact with each day, reflecting on emotions, God in my family, being open to the "now," intersections of oppression, friends who are getting married, my future, and more. I think about gratitude and all that I have to be grateful for in my life, such as the opportunity to walk the Camino Ignaciano. In my preparation for the Camino and just because I want to read it, I have been reading The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything by James Martin, S.J. (as seen below). I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the book thus far, and it has provided me with a source of theoretical and theological engagement and challenge. I have also reflected on love in this book and the topics on love that James Martin brings up early on in his book; I am moved by his openness on the topic of love, as well on other components of daily/weekly/monthly Jesuit life.

The Jesuits are called to move and live around the world, on an eternal "pilgrimage," per say. I have been reflecting on this for the Jesuits and also for my life; I am now solidly in my mid-twenties and feel at peace in this age period. I still want to continue to travel the country and world though, to continue to my pilgrimage. I feel torn about wanting to do this when I am with beloved friends from the Midwest who I have been able to spend golden time with this past June. Being with them makes me think remember that it will not be bad to set down roots some day, and to do it in a city and a community of people who I hold close to my heart. HERE is more information about the history of The Way of St. Ignatius (or Camino Ignaciano), which speaks to the ongoing journey of this pilgrimage - and of life in general - for St. Ignatius and for pilgrims like me.

It is clear that St. Ignatius of Loyola started to recognize and experience more gratitude, in different ways, after he was hit by the cannonball and experienced isolated recovery. His changed spirit and, thus, changed thinking patterns through God, encouraged him to focus more on how he could be aware of and grateful for his life. With gratitude can also come love, in all forms, which I know is a focus of mine throughout the pilgrimage. "Contemplation to attain love in our pilgrimage" is the focus of Day 28 on the pilgrimage, as seen on the Camino Ignaciano webpage HERE. This phrase is beautifully simple and also indefinitely complex.


It is important to recognize how other spiritualities contribute to testimonies of community and faith, recognition that should be had in the following quote by the Iroquois Nation. "We bind ourselves together by taking hold of each other's hands so firmly and forming a circle so strong that if a tree should fall upon it, it could not shake or break it." 

This is the symbol for the Jesuits; it's a Latinization of the Greek IHC (Iota Eta Sigma), being the first three letters of the Greek form of Jesus: IHCOYC.

Recently I have been reflecting on the March 2013 immersion to Colombia that I co-led with two other Resident Ministers through University Ministry at the University of San Francisco. In the picture above some of the USF students and I are dancing with children in an indigenous village. I feel very grateful to have been able to work and experience international immersions through the Jesuits, which have opened my mind and heart more to the world (and also more to my own history). My recent reflections on the Colombia immersion have helped me to contemplate how my world will change and what I will learn during the Ignatian Camino. I feel open to experiencing what comes on the Camino and to the intricate connection that all humans hold. I believe there is a thread of spirit that connects us all.






Here I am in front of one of the main University of San Francisco signs; I'll return to this home on July 29.

This is the view of a sunrise from the apartment I lived in for two years on the University of San Francisco campus. I cherished this apartment and the phenomenal view (and sunrises) from my windows. This view filled me with gratitude and astonishment, made me ponder the amazing beauty in creation in San Francisco and throughout our world, and makes me think of the following quote by English essayist and novelist C.S. Lewis: "I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen."                             

No comments:

Post a Comment